Go To Content
:::

History

  • Publication Data :
  • Last updated:2020-09-14
  • Count Views:1222
Pingtung Prison entrance door

Pingtung Prison, Department of Corrections, Ministry of Justice, was built in January of 1950. Pingtung Prison was originally located at No. 117, Zhongzheng Road, Pingtung City and was initially under the Ministry of Justice and Administration and subject to the command and supervision of the Taiwan High Court and in the joint office with Taiwan Pingtung District Court Detention Center.

In 1953, the prison and detention center was separated and then Pingtung Prison relocated to 73 Minsheng Road, Pingtung City. However, the site was located in the downtown area of Pingtung City and only covered an area of less than three hectares. The ward and equipment were cramped and obsolete, and the expansion was not easy. Those reasons resulted in limited activity space for inmates. Because it no longer met the needs of modern prison administration, it was decided in April 1988 to choose another location for relocation and reconstruction. After the establishment of the relocation committee in July of the same year, relocation and construction matters were actively planned. After lots of research and surveys, the current location No. 132, Yongfeng Village (Road), Zhutian Township, Pingtung County was selected as the relocation and reconstruction site.

The Prison was completed and opened in March 1994 with a total area of 18.71 hectares. The site area is 9.23 hectares and the building wall is 284 meters in depth and 262 meters in width. The site terrain is square, adjacent to the National Highway No. 3 “Linluo” interchange, and the traffic is convenient. It is a well-equipped and modern correction institution. The Corrections Department of the Ministry of Justice was officially established on January 1, 2011. The Prison was renamed “Pingtung Prison, Department of Corrections, Ministry of Justice.”

Go Top